Every time we come home to Crabtree House and Barn, enjoy the far reaching views across the valleys and listen to the woodpeckers in spring, spy the deer in the fields taking a cheeky snack from the gardens, we know why we still live in the Blackburne Valley in Scammonden.
We moved here over 20 years ago when we purchased Crabtree House and Barn, then one huge residential property. We have spent those years improving the property, raising our son Henry and now welcoming lots of lovely guests to the barn next door to us.
Crabtreee Barn has a history stretching back to at least the 1500s where records show evidence of a public house being on the site known as Glen Hey. In 1855, the pub and barn were rebuilt and the Shoulder of Mutton re-opened in what is now Crabtree House. Next door, above the arch of the barn a plinth with “J&M C 1855’ is placed referring to John and Martha Crabtree the owners and landlords of the pub. The barn was almost certainly used for storing hay as well as housing animals and the large beam across the kitchen area is the origjnal ‘Queens Truss’ that was used in the building’s construction.
Now a comfortable and modern barn renovation, Crabtree Barn continues to offer the hospitality that has been its history for over 500 years. And all being well, will for many years to come…
Wayne & Rachel
Owners | Crabtree Barn